Be a kid again
- Planned napping:- It is also called preparatory napping. It involves taking a nap before actually feeling sleepy.
- Emergency napping:-It occurs when we are suddenly very tired and cannot continue with the activity we are engaged in.
- Habitual napping:- It is practiced when a person takes a nap at the same time every day.
Some known benefits of naps are:
- A short nap restores alertness, enhances performance and reduces mistakes and accidents. A research by NASA shows a short nap improves performance by 34%.
- Napping Also has psychological benefits. A nap can be a pleasant luxury, a mini vacation. It provides easy way to get some relaxation and rejuvenation.
- Helps to boost mood due to sleep deprived irritability.
- Helps to improve immune system affected by Sleep deprivation. Due to less sleep inflammatory molecules known as cytokines increase which affect the immune system.
- Taking a nap also helps to improve the memory and physical stamina.
Negative effects:-It can leave people with sleep inertia, especially when they rest for more than 10-20 minutes. Sleep inertia is defined as the feeling of grogginess and disorientation that can come with awakening from a deep sleep. Generally it lasts for a few minutes to half an hour. A Study indicates that napping is associated with increased risk of heart failure in people already at risk. Apart from that a quick nap is considered very well for health. So one must take some time from his/her busy schedule to take a power nap.